First, I want to recognize our Revolution and Freedom players and coaches who have worked so hard to compete in IC 2020. We fully support the decision to postpone but we are disappointed that they will have to wait another year to see their hard work pay off. We are working with both teams to adjust course and prepare for 2021. We are also working hard to create a plan for things here at home.
As communities around the world shut down to slow the spread of COVID-19, the USAFL must do their part and abide by the Health and Safety authorities instructions. We understand that restrictions and regulations vary between states and counties. However, the safety and health of our Members and their close family and friends is our main concern.
The USAFL strongly recommends all members to suspend Footy competitions and activities for at least the next 15 days to ensure the health and safety of themselves and those around them. All clubs should follow the advice of local health authorities when considering holding any events. The situation is fluid and changing rapidly. Dates and projections continue to evolve. The USAFL will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates on a regular basis. Your patience and flexibility are very much appreciated during this time.
At this time, we are still looking forward to our Regional Tournaments (June 13, June 27 and July 11) and Nationals (October 10). Our current plan is to continue to monitor health and travel recommendations and to make a decision on whether to hold or postpone regional tournaments by May 1. This will allow a minimum of six weeks for teams to prepare for our first regional tournament. If any players do book flights before May 1, we highly recommend getting travel insurance to plan for a cancellation. As for hotels, we have confirmed that any league hotels booked will not incur a cancellation fee (upto 7 days advance).
Once we have confirmed the plan for regional tournaments, we will also address Clubs and Member dues and make any changes based on the current situation. Payments are due at this time but we will not enforce deadlines until the May 1 decision.
In the coming days, be sure to keep an eye on USAFL social media. We will be sharing resources and fun ways for everyone in our community to stay involved, even during this unique and challenging time. Thank you again for your patience and understanding. Be well and please do not hesitate to reach out with any
questions at all.
President, United States Australian Football League